Skip to main navigation.
Customer Service: 1.800.951.6088

Haywood EMC is here to provide affordable, reliable, safe services and open communications. Our office is located in Waynesville, with a district office in Lake Toxaway, North Carolina.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Be Prepared ... Before a Storm Hits

Power outages can occur during and after a snow or ice storm if lines are damaged. The following safety tips will help you be prepared, safe, and more comfortable if an outage occurs.

Prepare an emergency kit including:

  • Battery powered radio
  • A flashlight
  • Additional batteries
  • Bottled water and canned food, with a manual can opener
  • Candles and matches
  • First-Aid kit
  • Extra blankets and quilts

Include an emergency telephone list to contact the police, fire department, hospital, Haywood EMC, and local emergency management offices if needed. And remember cordless phones don't work without power.

Protect your belongings. If you are at home and your area is under weather alert for severe storms, shut off or unplug any sensitive electronic equipment such as TVs and computers to protect them from power surges.

If you are experiencing a power outage . . .

Verify if you are the only one in your neighborhood without power. If so, check your breaker box to make sure all breakers are in the ON position. If you still don't have power, call Haywood EMC at 1-800-951-6088.

Make sure to turn off all appliances, especially any heat-producing electric equipment such as electric stoves and ovens. Leave one light fixture on so you'll know when power is restored.

Keep candles away from furniture, curtains, or any other flammable material. Never leave children alone in a room with a burning candle or open flame.

Never try to use gas stoves, charcoal or briquette grills or camp stoves to heat your home. They are designed to be used only outdoors where there is enough ventilation due to the amount of toxic fumes they produce. If you use them indoors, you will rapidly eliminate the amount of oxygen in your house and increase the carbon monoxide inside your home. Carbon monoxide causes serious intoxication problems and even death.

If you are outside . . .

Stay away from any downed lines including power, telephone or cable. Do not touch any object that is in contact with downed power lines and can transmit electricity such as water, metal, etc.

Never drive your car over power lines. If a power line falls over your car while you are driving, stay inside your car until you receive appropriate help.

 

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
show your card and save Together We Save