Are you Prepared?
Here in the mountains of Western NC, preparedness is key when storms threaten. Throughout the summer and fall, our state can be threatened by hurricanes and tropical storms. As demonstrated by previous storms, any part of North Carolina can be impacted by a hurricane—not just the coast—so it’s important that everyone makes hurricane safety and preparedness a priority.
The same goes during the winter as we may be faced with the threat of snow and ice storms, which can cripple the areas infrastructure.
Haywood EMC is prepared to respond year round in the event that severe weather impacts service to our members. We also encourage everyone to prepare by taking simple steps, including:
* Outline a communications and evacuation plan for your family before a hurricane or storm warning is issued to minimize confusion and fear. If you have pets or livestock, include them in your plan.
* Create an emergency kit that includes:
- Important documents sealed in a watertight plastic bag
- Three days’ worth of non-perishable food, water and medication
- First-aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Personal hygiene items
- Extra clothes and blankets
- Food and other supplies for pets
* Sign up for local weather alerts and warnings.
* Follow Haywood EMC on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay informed about weather, outages and other information.
* Bookmark our live online outage map to find real-time outage information and estimated restoration times.
In the event of a power interruption, members should report outages by calling (828) 452-2281. Members are also reminded to never go near downed power lines.